A laborer is responsible for performing various laboring duties on road building, heavy construction projects and maintenance repair activities. You must be in good physical health and have the ability to lift or carry up to 50lbs. of materials. You will be required to operate hand, power tools and a variety of other equipment, plus, participate in Housekeeping duties to prepare, and maintain, a clean site.
- Willingness to work hard and learn new skills
- Valid Driver’s License
- Clean Driver’s Abstract (less than three convictions & less than 7 demerits)
- Must have the physical strength, stamina and coordination to complete the assigned duties
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50lbs. independently; more than 50lbs. with assistance
- Withstand working outside, on uneven ground, for long periods of time in different weather conditions
- Be able to stand, walk, bend, crouch for long periods of time
- Complete repetitive tasks for the duration of each shift
Duties and Responsibilities
- Health, Safety and Environment
- To be knowledgeable of and adhere to the company’s health, safety and environmental program. This includes Polices, Safe Work Practices, Procedures, Rules and applicable OH&S Legislation.
- Participate in the HS&E program to ensure a safe work environment is maintained by identifying and controlling hazards, attending Health and Safety meetings, site inspections and report any infractions or deficiencies to your Supervisor.
- Ensure the safety of yourself, co-workers and the public by participating in site safety hazard control measures, operating equipment as per manufactures, company and regulatory requirements as they apply to your job.
- To be a competent worker & operator by completing required training, review and understand your job/task hazards, have authority to operate and adhere to company and equipment manufactures safe operating procedures and maintenance schedules
- Review and understand locate sheets for each jobsite prior to commencing any work activities.
- Ensure that truck, tools, materials, safety and traffic equipment is in place.
- Inform foreman of any concerns or issues regarding the job site
- Help with adjusting or setting manholes and/or values.
- Tend to pumps, compressors and generators to ensure there are no interruptions to the smooth operation of the project.
- Establish traffic control by flagging and setting up signage, cones, barricades, etc. Also removing said items when required.
- Provide assistance in the organization of tools and equipment. Ensuring that tools are accounted for and put away at the end of each shift.
- Help maintain clean and neat company vehicles
- Operate jackhammers and drills to break up concrete and/or pavement if required.
- Assist Operators with hand tools when equipment is unable to access smaller areas
- When asked, assist Driver’s with maneuvering their trucks into position.
- Assist crew with site preparation, or any other activity as needed.
- Human Resources
- Have and promote a professional, positive image and attitude when working with the public, customers and co-workers.
- Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees and exchange information and ideas for improving the safety and production of the team.
- Collaborate with other project teams and help with special initiatives, as required.
- Assist in the training of new employees in the safe and efficient operation of equipment, tools, worker tasks and site safety.
- To be knowledgeable of, and adhere to the company’s policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Manual.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be constructed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.