|Reports to||Base Foreman|
The Grader Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the self-propelled motor grader. The Grader operator performs either rough or fine grade finishing, precisely spreading and mixing materials in order to dry and prep roads, construct road surface to precise grade specifications, lay cold mix, and / or shave and rip out old road surfaces, direct ground crew to achieve grading goals.
- Two to Three years’ experience on Grader working in the Road Construction Industry
- Ability to read blueprints
- Working knowledge of Base, grades and granular related materials
- Working knowledge of methods, techniques and equipment required for Base and Sub-Base surfaces
- Valid Driver’s License
- Clean Driver’s Abstract (less than three convictions & less than 7 demerits)
- Must have the physical strength, stamina and coordination to complete the assigned duties
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50lbs. independently; more than 50lbs. with assistance
- Withstand working outside, on uneven ground, for long periods of time in different weather conditions
- Be able to stand, sit, bend, crouch for long periods of time
- Complete repetitive tasks for the duration of each shift
- Climbing up and down into equipment
Duties and Responsibilities
- Health, Safety and Environment
- To be knowledgeable of and adhere to the company’s health, safety and environmental program. This includes Polices, Safe Work Practices, Procedures, Rules and applicable OH&S Legislation.
- Participate in the HS&E program to ensure a safe work environment is maintained by identifying and controlling hazards, attending Health and Safety meetings, site inspections and report any infractions or deficiencies to your Supervisor.
- Ensure the safety of yourself, co-workers and the public by participating in site safety hazard control measures, operating equipment as per manufactures, company and regulatory requirements as they apply to your jobsite. Report any unsafe conditions, or potential for unsafe conditions to your Supervisor.
- To be a competent worker & operator by completing required training, review and understand your job/task hazards, have authority to operate and adhere to company and equipment manufactures safe operating procedures and maintenance schedules
- Responsible for the implementation of safety measures as identified in the hazard assessments such as, housekeeping, traffic control (Set up of lane closures), safe trenching etc. and conduct safety meetings in the foreman’s absence.
- Actively participate to ensure the worksites meet environmental regulations as set forth by all levels of Government, Client requirements and Company Policies.
- Ensure locates are valid and present on every jobsite. Review and understand locate sheets for each jobsite prior to commencing any work activities.
- Follow and adhere to the manufactures operator’s manual which outlines, safety features, operations, technical specifications and maintenance schedules.
- Perform daily equipment, maintenance and site, safety checks as per company and manufactures specifications and complete required documentation.
- Operate grader controls to regulate finish grade base surfaces to within specified tolerances, referencing to grade stakes or hand signals from the grade man.
- Perform routine cleaning and maintenance to ensure smooth operation of the grader.
- Ensure grader is in proper gear and is not moving too fast for working conditions.
- Operate heavy equipment that you have been trained and authorized to operate such as, but not limited to, front end loader, trucks, compactors, bobcats, etc. as per manufacture’s guidelines and Legislative Laws.
- Clean heavy equipment as scheduled and / or required.
- Ensure heavy equipment is safely and securely stored.
- Advise foremen and shop of any issues or repairs required for your equipment.
- Maintain inventory of equipment.
- Help set manholes and valves.
- Assist crew with site preparation and any other activity as needed.
- Human Resources
- Have and promote a professional, positive image and attitude when working with the public, customers and co-workers.
- Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees and exchange information and ideas for improving the safety and production of the team.
- Collaborate with other project teams and help with special initiatives, as required.
- Assist in the training of new employees in the safe and efficient operation of equipment, tools, worker tasks and site safety.
- To be knowledgeable of and adhere to the company’s policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Manual.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be constructed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed