|Reports to||Asphalt Foreman|
The Asphalt Raker is responsible for distributing the asphalt mix as required.
- Minimum of two years experience working with Asphalt in the Road Construction Industry
- Working knowledge of Asphalt and related materials
- Working knowledge of methods, techniques and equipment used in Asphalt
- Valid Driver’s License
- Clean Driver’s Abstract (less than three convictions & less than 7 demerits)
- Must have the physical strength, stamina and coordination to complete the assigned duties
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50lbs. independently; more than 50lbs. with assistance
- Withstand working outside, on uneven ground, for long periods of time in different weather conditions
- Be able to stand, walk, bend, crouch, for long periods of time
- Complete repetitive tasks for the duration of each shift
- Constant pushing and pulling motion
Duties and Responsibilities
- Health, Safety and Environment
- To be knowledgeable of and adhere to the company’s health, safety and environmental program. This includes Polices, Safe Work Practices, Procedures, Rules and applicable OH&S Legislation.
- Participate in the HS&E program to ensure a safe work environment is maintained by identifying and controlling hazards, attending Health and Safety meetings, site inspections and report any infractions or deficiencies to your Supervisor.
- Ensure the safety of yourself, co-workers and the public by conducting site safety hazard assessments and implement control measures, operating equipment as per manufactures, company and regulatory requirements as they apply to your job.
- To be a competent worker & operator by completing required training, review and understand your job/task hazards, having authority to operate lawfully while adhering to company and equipment manufactures safe operating procedures and maintenance schedules.
- Review and understand locate sheets for each jobsite prior to commencing any work activities.
- Manually place and level asphalt or gravel using hand tools (ie. Shovels, asphalt lutes, etc.)
- Ensure asphalt and gravel is placed to meet the desired grade and in such a way that the final surface is smooth and even.
- Assist in the compaction of asphalt and gravel that is not accessible to heavy equipment by using hand tampers and tamp plates.
- When required assist with traffic control by flagging and setting up signage, cones, barricades, etc. Also removing said items when required.
- Apply asphaltic cement (tar), emulsions, or other compounds to required surfaces in preparation of paving.
- Operate jackhammers and drills to break up concrete and/or pavement if required.
- Provide assistance in the organization of tools and equipment. Ensuring that tools are accounted for and put away at the end of each shift.
- When asked, direct trucks into position to ensure truckers unload their asphalt into the paver’s hopper without incident.
- Assist Foreman by overseeing Laborers, ensure they are following directions
- Help with adjusting or setting manholes and/or values.
- Assist crew with site preparation, paving and any other activities as needed.
- Human Resources
- Have and promote a professional, positive image and attitude when working with the public, customers and co-workers.
- Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees and exchange information and ideas for improving the safety and production of the team.
- Collaborate with other project teams and help with special initiatives, as required.
- Assist in the training of new employees in the safe and efficient operation of equipment, tools, worker tasks and site safety.
- To be knowledgeable of, and adhere to the company’s policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Manual.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be constructed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.